My piece Lo Alecha was featured in a JewSchool article:
Tu Bishvat & #TorahForTheResistance: Taking Our Trees With Us
Yesterday my art cards arrived. I tried out a new (to me) printing service called Moo. Their cards are printed on nice solid cardstock and the best feature is that you can have one side be printed from a selection of up to 50 different images. So of course, I uploaded 50 images of my artwork for the backs of the cards. They’ll be on the art table on Sunday along with the lasercuts, greeting cards (yet to arrive) and original artwork in frames.
My papercuts are on display! They are at my local JCC, which features a different artist on the gallery walk 5 or 6 times a year. My papercuts will be up through the end of August. There is also an article about me and my work in the JCC’s newsletter, a writeup/artist statement on the wall of the gallery, and large printouts in a portfolio where you can see detailed representations of some of my sold work.
Also, I’ll be teaching a class on creating Jewish papercuts. It’s a two-part class, meeting on July 11 and July 18 from 10:30am-1pm. All materials will be provided. Contact the JCC to sign up or email me if you have questions.
The Chicago Avenue Fire Arts Center, currently just a little more than a hope and a dream, put a call out for volunteers. They are working on constructing the space out of what looks like an old movie theater. I went there recently to help them hammer the plaster off of the walls to expose the original brickwork underneath. Hard work! I’m very excited about CAFAC because that’s where I’ll be able to do my welding, hopefully. I am so eager to finish the spider and I have other square-based sculptures in mind.
My cousin, who just started her first year of college 3000 miles away from her home, has put out a general call to friends and family to make art for her walls. I got some large posterboard and created two mosaic-y paper-art things for her. This should cover quite a few square feet!
Takings from the garden. Self-portraits!
Months have gone by since I’ve create a legitimate art piece, but I know that’ll change. Adjusting to the move takes a lot of energy, and some of the leftover energy has to be channeled elsewhere. Into the garden, for example. I planted some vegetables and the plants are just starting to look happy. Here’s an eggplant plant.
I have a general rule to not post photos of my daughter, because that would belong on a parent blog, not an art blog. I’m making an exception for this photo. This is how she entertained herself at rest stops on our long drive to our new home – find a planter with no plants in it, dig around, fling dirt. This photo shows a beautiful gradient in the dirt from left to right.
This is it. We are moving house, moving state, moving region! Iâ€™ll be gone in a couple of days, homeless during the drive, and then a homeowner in a couple of weeks. Thatâ€™s the plan anyway. In my new home, I will have room to set up an actual art table, maybe even a whole room, and can get some equipment to do welding in the garage. Scary and exciting.Â Some of the artwork is too big and heavy to pack, like the dog (“Rusty”) and the bear (“the bear”). I gave them tape collars so that the little orange mover stickers would stick.
My sweetie and I coordinated together to paint these two bowls at (this is a crazy business name if ever I heard one) “Color Me Mine,” which offers a studio and pre-fab ceramics that you can pay to sit around and glaze. Then the fire your piece and you go pick it up, and voila! you have new kitchen ware.
I have been neglecting this blog because I have been channeling my artistic energies to places other than official artwork these past months. I’ve been taking a lot of photos and doing a lot of creative work in the kitchen. This bread, for example, was my first in the breadmaker and lo! there is a photo.
I’ve been toiling away at the bear since I started it in July. These days, progress is not always obvious. Last night I spent three hours working on him and got his second hind leg covered. The time before that, I covered up his head. The time before that, his first hind leg. I keep refining my technique as I go, too. For example, I sometimes, I do a quick (bad) weld of a new piece of metal to an already covered part of the bear, heat the new piece to bright orange, and then beat the hell out of it until it both acquires some character and drops its weak weld. Then I weld it properly in the place it belongs. I’ve also been using more smaller pieces, and making sure each one acquires character before its left alone. Next steps are to cover the two front legs with skin and give his face some features … and maybe he’ll get a tail. Here are some progression photos of the bear.
As I was pondering over what to create next in the metal studio, where I go every Thursday, I came across the idea of a bear, and a split second later, I knew the pose. It would be the pose of a bear I drew many years ago in pencil. I ransacked my closet and found it. Tonight, I start.